eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > The Backside
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Long Range Training vs Farming Between Races

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
beerkeg View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 4.80
  Quote beerkeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Range Training vs Farming Between Races
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
The last while I have been trying to give my 'high potential' horses at least 3-4 weeks before races, usually finding a race a month out to train for after each run. The downside of this plan has been that it is tying up places in my stables.

I have been considering sending my runners to the farm instead of setting a training date right away. This would lock them up for six weeks, but that's really only an extra 2 weeks over the minimum training time I have been using. Has anyone tried this? Would there be a downside to activating a horse just before entering (ex, activate Thursday and race Saturday)?
beerkeg View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

Quote beerkeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:32pm
A side perk of this is that I have been trying to separate my stables into 3 groups:

Elite - With high cost breedings, hopeful for stakes and graded winners.
Maidens - Filled with horses who didn't make the cut and are just looking for a win before retiring).
Bargains - 2/3yo bargain breeds, looking for diamonds in the rough.

By doing this, especially in the bargain and maiden stables, I would be able to roll more than 10 horses without the need to create additional stables.
kyogle View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 317.80
  Quote kyogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Someone may come up with a more helpful answer as I've never done what you are planning, I always set a training date at least 3 weeks on (or enter in the planned race, at least 3 weeks away) when I bring a horse off the farm

The obvious potential problem with your plan is horse condition. He's going to leave the famy 'piggy'. I would expect that he has virtually no hope of being sharp two days later, and will probably still be groggy

Edited by kyogle - 12 Mar 2019 at 10:52pm
beerkeg View Drop Down
Allowance Runner
Allowance Runner

Quote beerkeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by kyogle

Someone may come up with a more helpful answer as I've never done what you are planning, I always set a training date at least 3 weeks on (or enter in the planned race, at least 3 weeks away) when I bring a horse off the farm

The obvious potential problem with your plan is horse condition. He's going to leave the farm 'piggy'. I would expect that he has virtually no hope of being sharp two days later, and will probably still be groggy

I have a few who have gone to the farm for gelding, and I think some may have not been 'piggy' after their time on the farm. Its more the ones that have had longer downtime that come back 'piggy'.

However I might be better running the maidens and bargains back quicker (1-2 week turnaround if they come back RTG / groggy, and then farm them if they come back worse.

And with the top notch runners, take them off the farm on Saturday for the next week.
cadet View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner
1000% right

MBP : 84.70
  Quote cadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by kyogle

The obvious potential problem with your plan is horse condition. He's going to leave the famy 'piggy'. I would expect that he has virtually no hope of being sharp two days later, and will probably still be groggy

I almost always give mine two weeks from the farm and the come up sharp and run their race.

Every horse is different... some excel at 3 weeks rest others need 8 weeks. Just have to try a few things until you find what clicks
Enjoys Saratoga in August
cbxtra2 View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.10
  Quote cbxtra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:51am
Ok I have a question to go along with this...it was suggested to me to give my 2 yr olds 7-8 weeks between races, would it be better to send them to the farm for the 6 weeks then bring them back and train for 2 weeks then race?? Or is it ok to leave them in the training barn for those 7-8 weeks??
Mind you I'm not worried about freeing up space so that's a non issue?!
Thanks! I love reading all these different posts and learning more tricks to the game 😁
bizalls View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 1.90
  Quote bizalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:15am
which stable is the elite stable?
nextbonus View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 120.20
  Quote nextbonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:16am
Originally posted by cbxtra2

Ok I have a question to go along with this...it was suggested to me to give my 2 yr olds 7-8 weeks between races, would it be better to send them to the farm for the 6 weeks then bring them back and train for 2 weeks then race?? Or is it ok to leave them in the training barn for those 7-8 weeks??
Mind you I'm not worried about freeing up space so that's a non issue?!
Thanks! I love reading all these different posts and learning more tricks to the game 😁

I've been playing 19 years and have no idea which is "better." But, I do know that it is much more expensive to put them on the farm than to just train them. The more horses on the farm, the more the cost. I just gelded a bunch and am paying $$$$.   
Top Ten Stakes Winning Trainer 2004, 2005, 2007, 2018
kentuckiana View Drop Down
Maiden
Maiden

MBP : 0.80
  Quote kentuckiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:24am
You must be careful with how many horses are on the farm with any one stable.
The dollar cost will grow rather rapidly after six weeks.
cadet View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner
1000% right

MBP : 84.70
  Quote cadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:32pm
I don’t think the farm has any impact on the horse different than sitting idle or training for a date. IMO farm was 100% a user friendly function that doesn’t impact the horses ability function of the game.

Farm= simulated cloud data management
Enjoys Saratoga in August
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>